Friends of Mississippi Libraries, Inc.
As charitable organizations in Mississippi, local Friends chapters can choose to share the Friends of Mississippi Libraries, Inc.’s U.S. Internal Revenue Service 501 (c)(3) non-profit designation. It is also important for all Friends chapters to register as tax-exempt charitable organization with the Mississippi Secretary of State’s office: http://www.sos.ms.gov/Charities/Pages/default.aspx
Starting a Friends Group in Mississippi:
Maintaining a Friends Group in Mississippi:
- 2019 Friends Membership Renewal (PDF)
- File IRS Form 990 e-Postcard
- First time filing? Follow the IRS User Guide
Tools to Help Friends of the Library
- United for Libraries: With its mission to motivate and support citizens who govern, promote, advocate, and fundraise for all types of libraries, the United for Libraries website features many resources that can enhance a chapter’s program.
- Libraries Need Friends: Starting a Friends Group or Revitalizing the One You Have by Sally Gardener Reed, a free toolkit geared mostly toward public library Friends groups, but with good tips on membership and outreach for Friends groups of any type.
- Understanding Roles: The Separate But Complementary Roles of Friends, Trustees, and Library Directors will help you define the roles of the Friends, Trustees, and library staff in working together to support the library.
The Margaret Murray Grant
The purpose of The Margaret Murray grant is to advance library programming and literacy for Mississippi public libraries through activities sponsored by the local Friends of Mississippi Libraries chapters.
Funds are earmarked for programming, collection development, and literacy activities. Funds are not intended for administrative or operational use. Grants for 2019 will be $1,000.00 and three chapters are to be awarded. Successful applicants have agreed to match grant funds at the minimum of 5% ($50.00).
See the application for more details: https://goo.gl/forms/yGRpihKTjRQg9Ixy2
Deadline: February 22nd, 2019
Awards will be announced: April 1st, 2019