The Mississippi Library Commission was established in 1926 by an Act of the Mississippi Legislature. The agency was charged with giving advice, when asked, to schools and public libraries and to communities desiring to establish libraries. Further, the agency was required to obtain annual reports from all libraries in the state and to make a biennial report to the legislature of its work. The Act also authorized the Board of Commissioners to purchase and operate traveling libraries which might circulate to just about any library, organization or group including charitable and penal institutions. Today, the Mississippi Library Commission offers a wide variety of direct and indirect services to libraries, government agencies and the citizens of Mississippi.
The Vision of the Mississippi Library Commission is that all Mississippians have access to quality library services in order to:
- Achieve their greatest potential
- Participate in a global society, and
- Enrich their daily lives
The Mississippi Library Commission is committed – through leadership, advocacy, and service – to strengthening and enhancing libraries and library services for all Mississippians.
- All Mississippians understand, support, and use libraries.
- All Mississippians have access to well-managed library services through qualified staff and modern facilities.
- All Mississippians have access to current technology resources through libraries.
- All Mississippians have access to quality library resources.
- The Mississippi Library Commission sets and achieves the highest quality standards for effective and efficient internal management and fiscal integrity.
We believe that all Mississippians deserve quality library services. We recognize that our staff is the essential asset in delivering services that ensure customer expectations are met or exceeded. We commit to work hard, to exhibit honorable behavior, to know what is right and to do it. We believe in being fair, honest, and respectful. We value a workplace distinguished by open, direct, and timely communication. To that end, we pursue new ideas with energy and rely upon the talents, skills, knowledge, and abilities of staff and colleagues to meet the changing needs of the people we serve.
Adopted by the
Mississippi Library Commission
Board of Commissioners
September 24, 2002
Hours of Operation
The Mississippi Library Commission is open from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except on state holidays.
3881 Eastwood Drive
Jackson, MS 39211
Toll free: 1-800-MISS-LIB (1-800-647-7542)